Sugar Free BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 2 strips of thick bacon, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (12 oz) diet (sugar-free) cola – Splenda-sweetened preferred
- 1/4 cup low carb (sugar-free) catsup
- 3 T mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Hot sauce to taste
- Fry the bacon in a saucepan – a 2 qt pan works well.
- Add the onion and cook over medium until soft – 3-5 minutes. Add garlic at this point if you’re using fresh and stir it for half a minute or so.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, plus about half a cup of water. Stir well.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes. It will cook down a bit and flavors will combine.
- Adjust the seasonings so you have the balance you want – you can add vinegar, artificial sweetener (liquid preferred), or hot sauce. (If it’s too hot, adding more sweetener will tone it down.)
The recipe makes approximately 10 servings of 1/4 cup each. Each serving has about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate plus 1 gram of fiber.
© 2011, Hot Sauce Reviews and Spicy Food Blog. All rights reserved by InsaneChicken.com.