F-16 Afterburner Hot Sauce Recipe
- ½ dried Ancho Chile
- 1 fresh red Dutch; Thai, or jalapeno chile
- 16 fresh Scotch Bonnet or habanero Chiles; preferably orange or golden yellow
- 1 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 4 Large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbls fresh lemon juice
- 2 Jiggers Amber rum
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tsp dried oregano
- Submerge the Ancho in a pot of hot water and soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Chop Ancho finely and reserve.
- Roast and peel the Dutch Chile. Stem, seed, and finely chop the chile.
- Stem and seed the Scotch Bonnets, (WEAR GLOVES!!)leaving the inner membranes (and, if desired, a few seeds).
- Combine the Scotch Bonnets with Onion and Garlic in a food processor and process until very finely chopped.
- Combine Lemon Juice, Rum, and Vinegar in a nonreactive pan and bring to a boil. Pour liquid into processor, add the Oregano and Dutch Chile, and process lightly.
- Add the Ancho teaspoon by teaspoon, processing briefly in between, pulsing only enough to obtain a smooth, yellow-orange sauce, highlighted by red flecks.
- Refrigerated, this sauce will keep up to 8 weeks.
© 2011, Hot Sauce Reviews and Spicy Food Blog. All rights reserved by InsaneChicken.com.