Cheese Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 can tomato puree (15 oz.)
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce (depending on your tolerance for heat you can use anything from the Hottest Hot Sauces including Blair’s Mega Death, 357 Mad Dog, 357 Ghost Pepper Sauce or something mild like Tapatio Hot Sauce)
- 1 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, cubed or pulled
- 1 Cup cream
- 1/4 Cup non-fat sour cream
- 8 oz. processed cheese, 1-inch cubes
- 10 (6-inch) colored or yellow corn tortillas, 1/4-inch strips, fried
- Roughly chopped Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan until soft.
- Add the vegetable oil, chicken stock, green pepper, tomato puree, jalapeño pepper, salt, pepper, sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
- Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or spray with oil and bake at 400ºF (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if desired. Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup.
- Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese (to taste).
- The soup should be served at 165ºF. After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a “haystack” shape on top of the soup.
- Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro. Makes 6-8 servings
© 2010, Hot Sauce Reviews and Spicy Food Blog. All rights reserved by InsaneChicken.com.